UPDF Confirms Loss of Seven Troops in Lower Shabelle Operation Against Al-Shabaab.

At least seven Ugandan soldiers serving under the African Union Support and Stabilisation Mission in Somalia (AUSSOM) have been killed during a joint military operation to retake the town of Sabiid-Anole from Al-Shabaab militants, Uganda’s Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

 

The soldiers, part of the Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF), were engaged in a high-risk, three-day operation in the Lower Shabelle region aimed at dismantling Al-Shabaab’s stronghold near the strategic Sabid-Anole bridge, south of Mogadishu.

 

“Unfortunately, we lost seven soldiers during the battle,” said UPDF spokesperson Brig. Gen. Felix Kulayigye in a statement to AFP on Sunday. He added that despite the loss, Ugandan and Somali forces were able to successfully recapture the town from the militant group.

 

The operation forms part of ongoing joint offensives by the Somali National Army (SNA) and AU forces under AUSSOM, the successor to the AU Transition Mission in Somalia (ATMIS), which concluded its mandate earlier this year.

 

The deadly clash has renewed concerns over a possible resurgence of Al-Shabaab, which has intensified attacks in several parts of Somalia in recent months. Analysts warn that the group may be seeking to exploit the ongoing drawdown of international forces and logistical shortfalls facing AUSSOM.

 

Sources close to the operation said the militants had laid siege to the area for days before Somali and Ugandan forces launched a coordinated assault to reclaim control.

 

Uganda remains one of the largest troop-contributing countries to AU peacekeeping missions in Somalia. The country has played a central role in counterinsurgency efforts since 2007 and continues to support Somalia’s stabilization efforts despite mounting costs and casualties.

 

The Ugandan Ministry of Defence praised the fallen soldiers for their bravery and reaffirmed its commitment to the AU mission.

 

“These sacrifices are not in vain,” the statement read. “We honor the courage of our troops and remain committed to supporting Somalia’s quest for peace and security.”

 

Somali authorities have also acknowledged the support from AU member states and reiterated their commitment to rooting out Al-Shabaab from all regions.

Check Also

The US Department of Defense has suspended the delivery of some weapons

The US Department of Defense has suspended the delivery of some weapons and ammunition to …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sahifa Theme License is not validated, Go to the theme options page to validate the license, You need a single license for each domain name.