The federal government of Somalia announced that the National Consultation Council meeting, originally scheduled for June 22, has been postponed once more.
This meeting is expected to bring together federal leaders, regional states, and the Banadir region’s representatives.
“Considering the preparations for and the importance of the upcoming week of Independence celebrations, the National Consultation Council meeting, which was previously scheduled by President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud for June 22, 2025, has been postponed and will now take place on July 15, 2025,” stated the brief announcement from the Federal Government.
The latest postponement was said to aim to ensure proper preparations for the upcoming week of Independence celebrations and to acknowledge its significance.
The statement from the federal government highlighted that the meeting, initially set by President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud for June 22, 2025, will now take place on July 15, 2025.
This rescheduling is said to reflects the government’s commitment to honoring national events while ensuring effective governance.
The council meeting is anticipated to address critical issues affecting the nation, including the ongoing conflict with Al-Shabaab, constitutional amendments, and the upcoming elections. These discussions are said to be vital for the country’s stability and democratic progress.
It remains unclear whether the meeting will include the administrations of Puntland and Jubbaland, which have often been at odds with the federal government. Their participation could significantly impact the dialogue and outcomes of the council.
The NCC, formed to coordinate federal and state-level cooperation, has been marred by internal disagreements, especially between Villa Somalia and key regional states such as Puntland and Jubaland, both of which have distanced themselves from recent decisions made by the council.